Who are the Title/Playoff contenders after week 3?
Bona Fide Title Contenders:
Alabama – Two powerful performances against USC and Ole Miss have the Tide in the drivers seat.
Ohio State – A young but talented team crushed Oklahoma on the road.
Clemson – What to think of the Tigers at this point? We’ll know more when Louisville comes to town in two weeks. Oh, and Clemson must visit Ga Tech this Thursday night. With only five days to prepare for the option, and with a possible look ahead game against Louisville – could we have a shocking upset this week?
Michigan – The wolverines had a scare during the first half against a much improved Colorado team. I still say Jim Harbaugh’s club is a year away.
5. Louisville – The Cardinals may have given the best all around performance I may have ever witnessed in college football this Saturday. The offense, defense, and special teams ran circles around a hapless Seminole squad.
6. Houston – The Cougars had a tough contest for 3 quarters, then the flood gates open. The last hurdle seems to be Louisville.
7. Stanford – Smashed USC by 17 points. I don’t see the Fighting Trees escaping unscathed over the next month against @ UCLA, @Washington, and @ Notre Dame. But if they do, they move into Playoff contention.
8. Washington – The Huskies are still beating up on the rent-a-victims. It will be interesting to see what happens when they play stiff competition…which happens in two weeks when Stanford rolls into town.
9. Tennessee – With Georgia having back-to-back escapes against sub-par competition, the Vols now appear to be the Best in Show in the SEC East. Florida, @ Georgia, @ aTm, and Vs Alabama are on Tenner’s slate over the next four weeks. Ouch.
Waiting in the Wings:
10. Sparty – Mark Dantonio may be the best coach in America. He’s won the last three road games as an underdog against Ohio State, Michigan, and now Notre Dame.
11. Miami – The Hurricanes are quietly dismantling their competition, most recently a walloping of App State.
12. Wisconsin – I still see 3-4 losses for the Badgers. Beat Ohio State and Bucky moves up in rank.
13. Baylor – The Bears look like a head case, and at times struggle to move the ball against sub par opponents. But the Big 12 is a disaster this year, so anything could happen.
On Life Support:
13. LSU – Run the table and the Tigers are still in.
14. TCU – Bad loss to Arkansas – but run the table against the inept Big 12 opposition and the Horned Frogs could still punch their ticket…provided they receive help from elsewhere.
15. Georgia – Undefeated, but barely scraping by inferior opponents. Struggling against Mizzou is one thing…but Nicholls?
16. Florida State – Run the table and the Seminoles could get back into the playoff chase…then again, the beating in Louisville was so bad, the Playoff committee may take a pass regardless of what the Noles do from now on. Methinks they are out.
17. Texas – WTF?
18. Oklahoma – Two beat downs proved just how overrated the Sooners were.
19. Notre Dame – Sparty dominated for three quarters, and the Irish comeback effort fell short in the 4th. The Irish can only play spoiler now.
20. Ole Miss – Blew two leads of 20+. The Rebel-Bears seem to always choke on the national stage.